Quotations of Power!

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"

-Albert Einstein

Friday, March 11, 2016

Geri's Game: an Exercise in Dual Personalities

Hello Loyal Viewers! I won't lie when I say that Disney's Geri's Game is my favorite of their animated shorts. Something about an old man alone in a park playing chess with himself is simply charming and humorous. Reminds me of myself before I had friends. Putting aside my lonely middle school years, I still enjoy the overall style of this animated short. The two characters (personalities?) are each full personalities themselves. The old and slow Geri, and the lively and brutal man who might as well be his rival twin brother are an amazing juxtaposition, and by the end of the animation, you nearly forget they're the same person. Aside from this shot, this doesn't make sense given the circumstances.

Aside from this peculiar little shot, the continuity is preserved throughout the rest of the animation. The story is a fun one, and according to the animation, a high stakes duel for dentures. Geri sets up his chess board in an empty park and begins to play. The shots begin by showing his transition to each side of the table, but these transitions slowly become quicker and less obvious until there are two players in the game instead of one. The animation itself is well done and colorful, and the animators at Disney took great care to make the two players different and distinct. They each have obvious personality traits. Hence, the face of pure skepticism shown by Geri #2. (Fun Fact: That's the exact face I make when someone asks me a stupid question).
 The only complaint I have with Geri's Game is that single shot where continuity and human stretching abilities are thrown out the window. Other than that, the story is charming, and the characters are unique and delightful. I've always thought of this animation as someone making his own scenario or world in the absence of others. Either that or he's crazy, I really don't know which. at any rate, the animation is still a favorite of mine, and its story is told in an inspirational and amusing way.

No comments:

Post a Comment